Hyperpigmentation results from the excessive production of the skin pigment melanin. This can lead to the appearance of localised patches of darker skin, which can be distressing.
Hyperpigmentation can affect all skin types but generally people with darker skin tones are more prone to it. In addition, patients of Asian, African and Mediterranean origin can also develop more severe forms.
There are three main types:
1. Melasma; Usually caused by hormonal changes, especially those during pregnancy and use of oral contraceptive pill. Melasma typically affects women between the ages of 20 and 40.
2. UV damage; UV light stimulates melanocyte activity and leads to excess melanin production. This results in sun spots or solar lentigos, commonly seen affecting the face, hands and torso.
3. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation; resulting from skin injury e.g. acne lesions, chronic eczema or laser burns.
Common Treatment Options
Skyn Doctor in Huddersfield offers a range of industry leading treatments to treat pigmentation. Our treatment regimes involve use of the latest skin care technology with products specifically designed to address your pigmentation concerns. During the consultation, our doctor will carry out a detailed skin analysis and advise you of the best regimen suited for your individual case.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What treatments for Hyperpigmentation do you recommend?
Treatment options include our Skin Care Range and Chemical Peels. Dermaroller and Microdermabrasion may also be used in conjunction.
We offer a pigmentation resolution programme that consists of a unique combination of clinically proven ingredients such as Vitamin A, our Whitening Booster System, Broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection and moisturising ingredients. Our clients have seen significant results with a reduction in pigmentation intensity and improvement in skin brightness after 60 days use.
Our highly advanced skin peels contain high levels of glycolyic acid that helps reduce the amount of melanin in skin cells and lighten up darker areas.
- How is treatment carried out?
- All treatments are carried out by our dedicated doctor who, following your skin analysis, will talk you through the treatment plan and discuss any concerns you may have.
- Is it Painful?
You may experience a warm sensation on your face following a chemical peel but this usually resolves within a few minutes.
Our skin care range is easy to use with little side effect profile.
- How many treatments will I require?
Our skin care regime can be over a course of 8-16 weeks depending on the severity of pigmentation. Our doctor will advise you accordingly following your initial consultation.
Generally a course of six skin peels over 9 weeks is recommended.
- Why choose Skyn Doctor?
- Our philosophy at Skyn Doctor is unique. We view ourselves as your long-term partners in improving your skin health and will be by your side to ensure you achieve the desired results. We believe each patient is unique and thus requires a treatment plan that is tailored to their individual needs.